In my household of three, we are getting ready to have a second child in a few months. I have been trying to figure out how to include my two year old into helping get things ready for his new baby sister. It has been a challenge trying to figure out if he understands what is going on. When we ask him where the baby is, he is always pointing to my belly. That is all he really does though. So I am trying to figure out ways that I can help him understand the concept that in a few short months we are going to have an addition to our family.
A few weeks ago, we went to the store and I let my son help me pick out some clothes for his little sister. I try to let me help me pick out everything, but I know that has to be more than just picking out clothes and other small items for his sister. So I starting researching ways that I can get my son involved in the process of getting him to better understand that he is going to have a little sister soon. I was reading in an article expert advise from the baby center, that you it is a good idea to show your other child pictures of you when you were pregnant with them. Tell them about how excited you were for them and show your toddler newborn baby pictures of themselves so they have an idea of what a newborn baby looks like.
Another piece of good advice this site gave me is take your toddler around other relatives and friends that have babies. Let your child interact with them. I thought this is a great idea, it will teach my son that he will still get attention and he can see what a small baby really looks like. I have relatives that have small cousins, I let them come over to my house and play with my son and I play with them. I do this to show my son what it will be like with a new little baby being in the house. How is has to learn to share mom’s attention.
Here are some books title to help you prepare your child for the new arrival:
Here are some other ideas I found about getting your child ready for a new baby:
- Learn about it together- read books with your child and explain to them what is happening in your stomach. Their are videos on phones that can explain to a child what is going on.
- Imagine- talk about the new baby. Such as: do you think the baby is going to look like you. What color hair do you think it will have.
- Watch what you say- When you talk about your pregnancy and adding a new addition to your family be excited talk about the good things and not the difficulties you will face. A toddler can pick up on a negative attitude.
- Let your toddler have a role- Let your child help. Explain to the child that mom and dad are going to need help when the new baby comes.
- Get gifts from the new baby- When your in the hospital and child comes to visit, let the new baby get your child something such as an outfit or a toy. Let your child be apart of the new arrival.
~being a parent is an amazing journey~
#newbaby, #raisingchildren, #pregnancy, #newsibling, #gettingready, #pregnancy